Valor's Worth: Off to the Judge, Jury, and (hopefully not) Executioner

Some inspirational art of Lieutenant Commander Vinyanel Ecleriast and elements I'm batting around for the back cover of the book


Once again, another manuscript has escaped my hands and is now sitting in the likely-crowded inbox of an acquisitions editor. Even though I've had at least a dozen conversations with the powers-that-be at this publishing house, I can't help but have a little bit of trepidation about sending the book out for their ultimate acceptance or rejection. It's sort of like sending your kids into the first day of middle school. Maybe not as traumatic as the first day of Kindergarten, but somehow you know they are going to face new challenges, probably some nitpicking, and definitely some growing pains, and as much as you dread what might befall them, you know it must be done.

Having been down this small publishing road a few times now, I know what I want from the relationship, should the publisher in question decide this book is worth taking a chance on. It's no secret that every book    a publisher takes on is a risk, and my newest Windrider book takes some chances.For one, it's not serial, so it departs from the structure the previous stories have taken--which might bug some readers and will inspire hallelujahs from others. But with the change in format, I do risk an audience shift.

The book is also a little grittier than its predecessors. Certainly not George R R Martin gritty, but there are a couple necessary battle injury elements this book does not shy away from. We'll see if those make it to the final version.

And so, I'm left to wait--one of my severely under-developed author skills. Thankfully, I have Realm Makers conference planning, my family, my day job, closing on a house purchase at the end of the month, and the next book in The Risen Age Archive to keep me busy in the meantime. That should be enough, right?

Comments

  1. Good luck with your submission! I think it's your best book yet, and editing/polishing will only make it better. And like you said, life, right? Lots of busyness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kessie! I'm glad to hear from my advance readers that it shows growth in my writing. That's the real goal, isn't it...to make sure each piece you write makes you a better craftsperson in some way or another. Lord willing, it will be interesting to look back at all this in 20 years and observe the journey.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on being able to send out another book. Most days that feels like it'll never happen for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the congrats, Tim...and I'm pretty sure when your day comes, your work will be infinitely more polished than mine. :)

      Delete
    2. That is very kind of you. I don't know what else to say, except don't sell yourself short (which I guess I should be telling myself).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Artwork selections of late

Reviews for Friends

Too good not to post everywhere