Awards season: It's Up To You

It's officially that time of year: the time when the awards contests for Christian fiction begin accepting submissions and nominations. And so I write this post as a shameless ploy for help from you, my readers.

There are currently two reader-nominated awards I specifically need help with. The first is the INSPY--The Windrider Saga is already nominated in this contest, but Curse Bearer, as of this writing, is not yet. If you feel the novel deserves a look from the INSPY judges, please consider stopping by this site: The INSPY nomination form My works will always fit under the category of Speculative Fiction. The site has all the information you need to understand how the award works. Because this award is not votes-driven, it doesn't hurt me to have two horses in the same race, as it were.

The second award is the Grace award, and this is where things get a little tricky. The Grace Awards determine their finalists by the number of reader votes for the categories. Since I have two books out this year in Speculative Fiction, I risk having neither make the cut as a finalist by not directing my readers to get behind only one of them. But for me, it's like choosing between my children. Each of my boys is radically different in terms of personality, but do I love one more than another because of that? (Maybe one is easier to get along with sometimes, but that's different.) The Windrider Saga and Curse Bearer are very different in terms of tone and pace. Is one better than the other? I choose to leave that decision in the hands of you, my readers, and ultimately, God.

In studies authors have conducted, it is widely agreed that the primary thing an author can do to sell books is to win awards. As much as we'd like to think all our blogging, tweeting, facebooking, signing, giveaways, and stunts make a significant impact on sales, the statistics from one author's platform to another vary widely. However, award-winning books universally see a surge in sales, and then other books from that author enjoy collateral benefit from another book's success.

So in terms of the Grace Award, I submit this plea to you to go and fill out the voter form and submit whichever of my books you like better. And drag your friends along to do the same. Obscurity is not a long-term option for me--I would be immensely grateful if you would prove a part of moving me beyond the small circle most of us new authors occupy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artwork selections of late

Reviews for Friends

Geek Girl T-Shirt Design-Your Opinions Requested